A learner driver has been fined $1,652 for breaking stage three coronavirus restrictions.

Hunter Reynolds, 17, was learning to drive with her mother in the car when a police officer pulled the vehicle over.

The pair were in Frankston, Victorian, about 30 kilometres from their home in Hampton.

Since last Monday Victorians have been banned from leaving home except for food and supplies, medical care, exercise, and work or education

Since last Monday, residents in NSW, Victoria, Queensland, Tasmania and the ACT have been banned from leaving home except for food and supplies, medical care, exercise, and work or education.  

The girl’s mother Sharee said she did not realise driving lessons were banned. 

‘We didn’t think for one minute that we would be doing anything wrong,’ she told 3AW on Monday.

‘We weren’t in contact with any person, we weren’t stopping anywhere, we weren’t planning on visiting any destinations, we were just learning to drive.

‘The officer said we were too far from home and we would cop a fine, and that Hunter would be the person to receive that fine.’

The teenager has been given a $1,652 on-the-spot fine for breaching the stage three restrictions, but the pair plan to challenge it in court.

‘I was just shocked, because I obviously hadn’t done anything wrong, or so I thought. I was just really stressing,’ the teenager told 3AW.

Ms Reynolds said a warning would have sufficed and fining a teenager was ‘really quite ridiculous’.

The officer told them they’d been ‘smashing it on the roads today’.

In the 24 hours to 8am on Monday, Victoria Police issued 108 fines. Victoria Police have been contacted for comment.  

New South Wales Police has fined 85 people for breaking restrictions, including 18 people over the weekend.

One man who was enjoying a kebab on a park bench in Newcastle was slapped with a $1,000 fine last week.  

In Queensland, police fined 139 people last week, including 19 people at a car rally.

Meanwhile, thousands of Australians flocked to beaches around the country this morning for their daily exercise. 

Thousands of Sydney locals flocked to beaches such as Cronulla (pictured) on Monday morning, putting sunny skies ahead of the threat of coronavirus

NSW Police officers were out in force at Cronulla Beach in Sydney’s south on Monday, ordering anyone who wasn’t exercising to move on

The popular Cronulla Beach Walk was packed with walkers and joggers throughout the morning, despite a regular presence of NSW Police officers to tell anyone who dared stop to chat that it was time to move on.

Sitting at either end of a beachside park bench, John West and his friend Greg believed they were entitled to have their morning coffee out in the fresh air.

But after being approached by a policewoman, the two men were soon on their way.

‘We were told you have to be active, you’re not allowed to just sit around and enjoy the fresh air,’ Mr West told Daily Mail Australia.

People are only allowed out and about for an essential reason such as exercise (pictured), medical attention or shopping for groceries

One of the city’s most famous beaches, Cronulla was as busy as usual on the first day of NSW school holidays despite strong social distancing restrictions

Despite sitting the required 1.5 metres apart at either end of this park bench, John West (left) and his friend Greg (right) were politely told to move on by a NSW Police officer

Police asked this couple to move on after they stopped their bike ride to have a rest and a coffee on a bench at Shelly Park

‘She (the policewoman) was very polite and I think it’s fair enough. Obviously the rules are terribly inconvenient but we are in a serious predicament.’ 

But most of those who got in some exercise on Monday adhered to the social distancing restrictions, giving a wide berth to other walkers or runners as they passed each other on the path. 

Among them were Peter, 83, and Cara Sigal, 81, who swim all year around down at the Shelly Beach ocean pools, to the south of the main Cronulla esplanade.

With the pool closed they ventured down by the water for a brief walk and some fresh air, but said it would be their only outing for the day. 



Gatherings are restricted to two people, with residents only allowed out of their homes for a few essential reasons. 

This includes buying food or essential goods, getting a medical treatment or engaging in physical exercise. 

You can also visit a terminally ill relative or attend a funeral.

Students are also allowed to attend childcare, school, college or university.

From April 3, the state’s borders will be closed to everyone except residents and essential workers.

New South Wales

NSW officials are also enforcing the two-person limit, with residents legally obliged to stay at home unless they have a ‘reasonable excuse’. 

This includes travelling to work or school, buying food or other essentials, exercise and medical reasons.

It is left up to police officers to decide who will get the fines, with the maximum being an $11,000 fine or six months in prison.  


The state has also brought in the two-person limit inside and outside the home – not counting pre-exisitng members of the household.

Its chief medical officer Dr Brett Sutton confirmed an exception would made for people visiting their boyfriend or girlfriend if they lived separately. 

Otherwise, people are allowed to leave the house for one of five reasons – shopping for food, work and education, care reasons, exercise or other extenuating circumstances. 

Australian Capital Territory

The ACT is also enforcing the two-person limit, but people are allowed up to two guests inside their homes – only if there is at least four square metres per person.   

It also only allows people to leave home for essential reasons, including shopping for essentials, medical reasons, exercise, work or study.

Offenders are being issue with warnings, but may get a fine if they are found to be breaking the rules again.

Western Australia 

As well as closing its borders to non-residents, WA has also introduced fines for people who cross out of their region.

Nine regions have been carved up, and people cannot move between them for anything but an essential reason.

This includes going to work, medical appointments, school or other types of education.

Drivers are also allowed to transport freight, and people can go to a shop outside of their area if the essentials are not available closer to home.  

Northern Territory 

In NT, police are still enforcing a 10-person limit rather than just two people.

But chief minister Michael Gunner warned it may take further action if people don’t stick to the rules.

All non-essential arrivals in the state must self-quarantine for 14 days, and people are not allowed to visit remote communities.


Tasmania also has brought into law the two-person limit, with residents only allowed to leave home for essential reasons.

This includes shopping, exercising, and going to healthcare apppointments. 

Going to a vet is also allowed, as is going to school or caring for another person.  

Arrivals must self-isolate for 14 days. 

South Australia

SA has also stuck to the 10-person limit, with $1,000 on-the-spot fines for people who have a larger group.

Again, all arrivals into the state must self-isolate for 14 days.  

‘We come down here and swim every day, even through winter, but it’s closed at the minute so we’re just going to do a little exercise,’ Mrs Sigal said.

‘We’re in our 80s so we understand the danger and think the restrictions are appropriate, but we need to keep our fitness up and stay active.

‘The only way it will be beaten is if we all stick to what we are being asked by the government.’

But not all who were out and about were impressed by the restrictions, with one walker labeling them ‘bulls**t’.

‘To be frank, I think it’s a load of bulls**t. The numbers at the minute just do not warrant these restrictions and I’m shocked by how many people are just buying into it,’ a woman who wanted only to be known as Rosemary said.

‘I think it’s a complete over reaction. It can’t go on for six months like they are talking about because people will not stay inside that long.

‘I certainly won’t stay inside that long and I’m not (now). I come out and do what I want to do and then go home. I might walk for two hours – I walk everyday anyway and have been doing for 20 years.’

Daily Mail Australia is not suggesting that any of the people pictured were in breach of the law.

NSW Police raise $18,000 in 3 days: Coronavirus fines this weekend 

Since Friday, 18 fines have been handed out in NSW. 

About 2.30pm on Friday officers from Murrumbidgee Police District were called to Benerembah Lane, Griffith, following reports of an intoxicated person. A 55-year-old man was spoken to and moved on from the area. At 4pm the same day, officers returned after the man was seen again in that location and could not provide a legitimate reason for being there. 

Police were also made aware that he had been warned to obey social distancing regulations on Tuesday. The man was issued a penalty infringement notice (PIN).

– About 5pm Friday, police attached to New England Police District attended a licensed premise in Tenterfield Street, Deepwater. They spoke to a 27-year-old man, who was sitting with a group of patrons drinking. He was issued with a PIN as he had been spoken to by police the previous day about social-distancing and issued with a warning.

– A 37-year-old Newtown man has been issued with a PIN after officers from Inner West PAC spoke with him twice on Friday night about breaching the Public Health Act. Police spoke with the man on Federation Road about 8.30pm on Friday, where he was warned about associating with four other adults. About two hours later, the same man was stopped on King Street, Newtown, and was then issued with a PIN.

– About 8.30pm Friday, officers from Bankstown Police Area Command noticed a car double parked in Restwell Street, Bankstown. Officers pulled over the car and spoke to the 20-year-old female driver and her 21-year-old female passenger. The pair were unable to provide a valid reason for driving around. The passenger provided incorrect identification information to the police and become argumentative. She was issued with a PIN. The driver was issued with an official move on direction.

– Just after 10.30pm on Friday 3, officers from Liverpool City Police Area Command were patrolling San Cristobal Drive, Green Valley, when they saw three men – one aged 36 and two 18-year-olds – not obeying social distancing regulations. The men were spoken to and could not provide a legitimate reason for being there. Two of the men had allegedly exited a vehicle believed to have been stolen. All three were issued PINs. Investigations regarding the vehicle are continuing.

– At 1.15am Saturday, officers from Bankstown Police Area Command pulled over a car after it had allegedly accelerated away after seeing police on Edgar Street, Bankstown. The 30-year-old driver was spoken to by police about his reason for driving. He was unable to provide a valid reason and changed his version several times and continued to be argumentative with police. He was issued with a PIN.

– A passenger in a car being driven by a food delivery driver has been issued with a PIN by officers from Quakers Hill Police Area Command. Police stopped the vehicle about midday on Saturday and spoke with two people in the car. The driver was employed delivering food; however, police allege the 33-year-old woman from Toongabbie, who was the front-seat passenger, was only there because she said she was bored being at home.

– A 38-year-old woman has been issued with a PIN after she was found drinking with six people in Jonson Street, Byron Bay, just before 6pm Saturday, in breach of the Public Health Act. Officers from Tweed/Byron Police District had issued a warning to the woman earlier in the day.

– Police investigating an alleged assault at a home in Goulburn last night have issued two men with PINs for breaching the Public Health Act. Officers from The Hume Police District were called to the home in Teece Place about 9.20pm Saturday, after a 34-year-old man sustained a cut above his eye. He was treated at Goulburn Hospital and released. Police later issued him and his 24-year-old friend with a PIN; inquiries are continuing into the alleged assault.

– A man has been issued with a PIN after being stopped at the Sydney Opera House about 10.15pm Saturday. Officers from Sydney City PAC had already issued the man last Wednesday, with a warning about breaching the Public Health Act.

– Two people were given PINs and three people received cautions after gathering for a barbeque in the state’s north. Saturday about 11pm, officers attached to New England Police District responded to a noise complaint at a caravan park on Rouse Street, Tenterfield. Five people were in the bungalow; breaching ministerial orders related to the congregation of more than two people. A 23-year-old man and a 17-year-old girl were identified as people who had previously received cautions for not complying with ministerial directions and were fined $1000. The three others were issued with cautions.

– Just after midnight Sunday, officers from Sutherland Shire Police Area Command attended the Lilli Pilli Baths, in Lilli Pilli, following reports of a gathering of people not adhering to social distancing regulations.  Police attended and spoke with four men – aged 22, 24, 19 and 19 – who were drinking and having a barbeque. Officers reminded them of their requirements under the Public Health Act and asked them to move on; however, the men became argumentative and refused to leave. All three men were issued infringement notices.  

Source link