Victoria reaches huge coronavirus milestone as it goes three weeks with ZERO new coronavirus cases – as the state turns the tables on South Australia and slams the border shutVictoria has now gone three weeks with no recorded coronavirus casesThey only have two current active cases, with 18,474 test results received 

Victoria has achieved a massive milestone, chalking up three weeks with zero cases of coronavirus.

The state has also turned the tables on South Australia, closing its border to residents from Adelaide. 

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews announced the state’s border with South Australia would close from 11.59pm on Thursday.

He said the hard border closure would be in place for 48 hours until a permit system came into operation at 11.59pm on Saturday night.

Victorian residents (pictured above) are celebrating after the state chalked up three weeks of zero cases of coronavirus

Premier Dan Andrews is working towards Victoria reaching a Covid normal status by Christmas

Melbourne residents (pictured above) are rejoicing after the state recorded 21 consecutive days without a new coronavirus case

Mr Andrews said the new measures were taken as an ‘abundance of caution’ and followed public health advice due to ongoing community transmission in South Australia. 

He added that ‘Victorians have worked too hard and given too much to allow anything to put at risk our goal of reaching Covid normal by Christmas. We will do whatever it takes to keep Victorians safe.’

There was a large police presence at the Victorian border on Friday morning, with police checking every car and truck attempting to cross between the two states, Nine News reports.

South Australia officially began a strict six-day lockdown on Thursday in an attempt to contain a growing coronavirus cluster in Adelaide’s north.

However, on Friday it emerged the lockdown was a result of a lie told to contact tracers by a COVID-positive worker at an Adelaide pizza shop.

Residents in South Australia are now free to exercise outside their homes, while the state will end its hard lockdown much earlier than expected.

Health officials initially feared a ‘super strain’ of coronavirus had been unleashed in Adelaide after it was apparently transmitted on a pizza box from an infected worker to a customer.

But suspicious contact tracers soon discovered that wasn’t true, and that the customer – who also worked at a quarantine hotel – was in fact employed at Woodville Pizza Bar in Adelaide’s north.

‘To say I am fuming about the actions of this individual is an absolute understatement,’ Premier Steven Marshall said. ‘The selfish actions of this individual have put our whole state in a very difficult situation.

‘His actions have affected businesses, individuals, family groups and is completely  unacceptable.’

At this stage, the man is unlikely to be charged or fined by authorities. 

The Woodville Pizza Bar in South Australia (pictured) was originally identified as a Covid-19 hotspot

Share or comment on this article:



Source link