The Australian coronavirus death toll has climbed to 104 after an elderly man who previously tested positive for the virus died.
The 85-year-old man was a resident at the Opal aged care facility in Bankstown where there had been a small outbreak.
NSW chief health officer Kerry Chant said the man’s death has been reclassified after his doctor diagnosed COVID-19 as a contributing factor, taking the NSW death toll to 51.
He was diagnosed with COVID-19 on April 7 and died on April 27, after two negative swabs were recorded.
The Australian coronavirus death toll has climbed to 104 after an elderly man died in Sydney
The 85-year-old man was a resident at the Opal aged care facility in Bankstown where there was a small outbreak
NSW recorded four new coronavirus cases on Thursday night – one being a seven-year-old girl.
Health authorities are now investigating whether the Year 2 student at Lane Cove West Public School in Sydney’s north may have transmitted the virus to others.
NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said 30 adults and 33 children linked to the school had already been tested.
The school was closed on Thursday for deep cleaning.
Three other new cases are those of returned travellers, who are in hotel quarantine.
Victoria has recorded 33 new coronavirus cases overnight and half of all residents living in Melbourne’s infection hotspots will undergo testing.
Lane Cove West Public School (pictured) in Sydney’s north will close on Thursday for deep cleaning after a year two student was confirmed to have COVID-19
Australians have been warned to stay away from six council in Melbourne: Hume, Casey and Brimbank, Moreland, Cardinia and Darebin
Premier Daniel Andrews announced the new COVID-19 infections on Thursday and declared there would be ‘a suburban testing blitz’ for the outbreak in suburban Melbourne over the coming days.
CORONAVIRUS CASES IN AUSTRALIA: 7,557
New South Wales: 3,162
Western Australia: 607
South Australia: 440
Australian Capital Territory: 108
Northern Territory: 29
TOTAL CASES: 7,557
There were seven new coronavirus cases in return travellers, nine linked to known outbreaks, six from routine testing and 11 under investigation.
‘First things first, we are about to embark – in fact, we’ve already begun, it began early this morning – a suburban testing blitz,’ Mr Andrews said.
‘Broadmeadows and Keilor Downs, those two suburbs, with the highest number of community transmission cases, we will test 50 per cent of those suburbs over the next three days.’
Mr Andrews said a ‘thousand-strong’ team would doorknock and speak to the community to encourage them to get a free coronavirus test.
More than 1,000 Australian Defence Force troops are being deployed to Victoria to help the state fight a growing coronavirus problem.
New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian urged against travel to Melbourne, particularly its six current COVID-19 hotspots: the local government areas of Hume, Casey, Brimbank, Moreland, Cardinia and Darebin.
Residents of those hotspots should not be moving around the community, the premier said, and New South Wales businesses should deny service to anyone from outer-suburban Melbourne.
She also implored New South Wales residents to avoid visiting Melbourne altogether.
But Ms Berejiklian said she was confident her Victorian counterparts would get the outbreak under control before drastic measures were required.
Health Minister Brad Hazzard has urged Melbourne residents from the COVID hotspots to refrain from attending major events in NSW, including AFL and NRL games, until the recent spike in COVID-19 cases ends.
New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian (pictured) urged against travel to Melbourne
Pictured: COVID-19 testing staff are seen at a pop-up site at Keilor Community Hub on Wednesday
Mr Hazzard said while health authorities battle to trace a growing number of community COVID transmissions across Melbourne’s north-west and south-east, vigilance and caution are needed.
‘COVID-19 spreads rapidly, particuarly in large gatherings. The NSW Government is calling on Melbourne hot spot residents to not come to NSW and particularly not attend sporting and other major events.
‘A COVID-19 outbreak like the one we’re seeing in parts of Melbourne could occur in NSW. We have to prevent the virus from transmitting from the current hot spots in Melbourne to NSW residents.’
Health Minister Greg Hunt said the message remained the same and that Australians should continue to keep their distance.
‘It is vitally important. It can save your life, it can protect your life,’ he said.